01 August 2011

Time is the River

I'm not big into poetry, but I like Italian and I've always liked this particular poem. So! I've decided to share it with you :)

Il Destino Degli Uomini
-di Francesco Chiesa

E dissi al fiume: "lasciami passare"!
Rispose il fiume: "e per andar dove?
Anche di là uomini e donne... Il bove
mugghia ugualmente e pugon le zanzare.

Che speri?... L'istesse acque, dolci, amare,
lungo l'altro mio margine! E un dì piove,
un dì fa bello. E la stessa aria muove
la favolosa selva, che ti pare.

Sempre sull'altra sponda il ben che agogni,
uomo; il bene perduto o invano atteso.
Io, freddo, in mezzo, tra il sognante e i sogni...

Sempre, sopra la testa alto sospeso
il tuo fato, se vai, se stai. Per ogni
strada, da trascinar, sempre, il tuo peso".


And now my poor attempt at a translation!

The Destiny of Men
-by Francesco Chiesa

And I said to the river: "let me pass"!
Responded the river: "and where will you go?
Over there are men and women... The ox
lows the same and the mosquitos sting.

What do you hope for?... The same water, delights, love,
along my other side! And one day it rains,
one day the sun shines. And the same air stirs
the wondrous woods, or so it seems to you.

Always on the other bank the Good are yearning,
man; the Good lost or waiting in vain.
I, stoic, in the middle, between the dreamer and the dreams...

Always, hanging high overhead is
your fate, if you go, if you stay. For on every
path, it drags along, always, your load".

No comments:

Post a Comment