05 August 2011

Tell me about your childhood...

I only specifically remember reading one story in elementary school. It was about a little human girl who lived on Venus and for some reason the sun only came out once every seven years. I'd tell you the rest, but I don't want to ruin the story for you.

For some reason, I was thinking about that story today. I think it's interesting that of all the stories I read for school, that is the only one I remember (I'm sure my shrink could tell me why). I didn't remember the name of the story or even the name of the little girl, but I remembered what happened, so the story must have had some sort of impact on me. Actually, I know it did.

Anyway, thanks to the internet, I've rediscovered the story. It's a short story called "All Summer in a Day" by Ray Bradbury. I read Farenheit 451 two summers ago. Little did I know I had already been exposed to his work.

You can read the story by clicking on the second result from this search - a doc file from the dodea website.

This post is kinda pointless, but I guess I was just wondering if anyone else had read/remembered this story, too.

2 comments:

  1. I remember this one from class vividly as well. It's probably a combination of Bradbury's evocative imagery and the fact that the story has such a strong emotional appeal. But yeah, you're not alone on that one.

    I dug up one the other day for a friend of mine, kind of a similar situation: "The Nine Billion Names of God" by Arthur C. Clarke, here: http://downlode.org/Etext/nine_billion_names_of_god.html

    I think you would like it as well; you might give it a shot.
    Thanks for posting, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, I read this story when I was younger, too, and it has haunted me ever since. The unthinking but horrible cruelty makes it very hard to forget. I had to reread it after reading this post. He's an amazing author.

    ReplyDelete