02 January 2013

Happy Santo Stefano! (from 12/26)

(Sorry!  Missed this one, it came the day we left Hawaii and I just forgot!)


Merry Christmas, everyone!!!

We had a lovely Christmas here in Siena! We ate Christmas eve dinner with the Capeces and then went back over to their house at about noon on Christmas day. We're allowed to watch a G-rated movie on Christmas day, so our RS president hooked us up with a great musical - SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS!!!!! It was pure bliss. Slla Nilson and I spent the whole movie singing along and saying all of the lines with the movie. We even rewatched the "Sobbin' Women" song with subtitles...did you know that at one point Adam sings "They kept occupied by sewing lots of little old togas for them tots"? I had never been able to understand what he was saying at that point, and so now I feel so enlightened. And then a couple of times yesterday I leaned over and told Slla Nilson: "Nice night for a coon hunt." It was great. Then we mostly just loafed around until it was time to Skype our families. I told the "brown chicken brown cow" joke to Slla N's family. I practiced telling it like every day so that I wouldn't mess it up. It went over pretty well, I guess, because Slla N's fam kept asking me when I'm gonna come over and visit. At least after March...

The Capeces Skyped their daughters on Christmas Eve and on Christmas before it was our turn. I had brought my ukulele, and so the Capeces and Slla Nilson INSISTED that I play my ukulele for their families on Skype. It was kinda weird, but I did it anyway. I played my Hey Soul Sister/I'm Yours mash-up and of course it was a big hit. One of the Capece's daughters said afterward "wow, that was a lot better than I thought it was gonna be" ...which I tried to take as a compliment! 

Fun story, today we took the bus to come do our internet and there was an old man waiting at the bus stop. He saw us and said "Quanto siete belle!!! / How beautiful you two are!!!" and then proceeded to pinch my cheeks. Then he asked if he could kiss me. I said no. But he kept insisting "dai, un bacino! Per l'affetto fraterno! / come on, a kiss! For brotherly affection!". Instead I went for a handshake...and then he just kissed my hand. It could've been worse, I suppose.

I'm feeling pretty scatterbrained right now. Also, I'm not quite sure who my audience is because I just talked to my family on Skype yesterday and feel like I need to fill everyone else in. 

Oh! I forgot the biggest news of all! I'm getting transferred! On Friday! Yep, I'm on the outs. I'm headed back to Milano! Milano Navigli aka Milano 3rd Ward. Before I served in the Milano 2nd ward. And guess who's in my ward? Yep. President Wolfgramm. That means I can get hugs from Slla Wolfgramm every week!! Woo!! The Assistants are also in my ward! My new companion will be Slla Lyman, who is just finishing her first transfer. That also means that I will be her secondary trainer and will have the finish the 12 week training program with her. I'm taking Slla Forbes's spot. So that kinda makes me a trainer for the third time. Kind of. Slla Bush, who is from WI, is coming down here to take my spot in Siena, that lucky duck! 

A big shout out of everyone who sent me Christmas cards! I haven't been able to keep track of everyone who has sent me stuff, so I won't list out everyone, but the cards were all very much appreciated. Also a mondo super huge shout out to the Nilson fam and Grandma Harley who graciously included gifts for me in their packages to Slla N. It was nice to have something to open on Christmas since my mom's package didn't arrive in time!

Well, time has quickly run out. I love you all very much and I thank you for all of your prayers and support. Keep reading your scriptures! I'm now in Mosiah 6 or so (in Italian). Still on track to finish before the end of March! Well, at least I think I am. I don't really exactly know how much time I have left because I refuse to dwell on that. Yikes.

Happy New Year!
Love from Siena (for the last time),
Sorella Soh

No comments:

Post a Comment