05 December 2012

Ralph Chunk Barf


Hi.

Wednesday again. Yikes. Shout out to Lori Diamond and family this week who sent me a card. Thanks! It was much appreciated. Also, I think the mailman here only works part-time because I feel like mail takes twice as long to get to me here than it did when I was in Milano. Weird.

Well it was inevitable considering the circumstances, but Slla Nilson and I worked ourselves sick last week. Really. Slla Nilson spent all week with a sore throat and sinus congestion. I was okay at first, but then I started to feel like barf. And then once Slla N started to get over her sore throat, SHE started to feel like barf. So we spent almost all week shuffling around our apartment feeling unhealthy. It did give Slla N a chance to use her favorite word, though, telling me every so often: "I feel like a loaf." (Her favorite word is loaf.) We slept a lot of it off and Slla Nilson had about half a pharmacy of medicine in her, so hopefully the sickness is mostly over. We're still feeling the remaining effects, but I feel better about the rest of the week. When I have eaten, I've eaten mostly saltine crackers and whatever else doesn't make me want to throw up just by looking at it. We've wised up, though, and yesterday we went and bought bus passes so we don't have to walk everywhere all the time. Hopefully that will help us to not run ourselves into the ground. 

Oh. My. Rain. It has rained almost non stop for the past week. I was glad we were sick and had to stay inside because if not, we would've gotten sick because we would've had to come home soaked to the bone every night. And good thing today is pday because my left boot finally had had enough, and so now the zipper officially doesn't work anymore. I have part of it zipped and the other part of it connected with a safety pin, but obviously that's not gonna last me the rest of the winter, especially with the rain. So, Merry Christmas to me, I suppose, because today we're going to go buy me new boots. But hopefully that means I won't have to come home with soggy socks at night.  As we were getting on the bus to come do our email today Slla Nilson looked at me, pointed to her semi-broken umbrella and said "oh man, if my mom could see the state we're in, she'd throw a fit. Our umbrellas, boots, gloves, hair!!!..." and we just laughed. Sure it'd be nice to buy new everything, but who has time for that?? We both go home sooner than we think (even though we don't like to talk about it), so at this point we both have a "oh well, it's going in the trash anyway" attitude about most things, haha.

We're doing a scambio (exchange) with the Firenze sisters tomorrow! I am going up to Firenze to be companions with Slla Beus, (from Kaysville/Farmington!) and her companion, Slla Eaton, is coming to Siena to be with Slla Nilson. They are both pretty young in the mission, but then again I suppose everyone is young in the mission compared to us moldy oldies! It's nice to have other sisters nearby. Siena is so far from Milano!

Before Slla N admitted that she was sick, we were out knocking on doors, as we are sometimes wont to do. This was last Wednesday night. So we get to this door and ring the doorbell and no one answers even though I could hear a high-pitched voice from inside. So we ring again and then knock. A little girl answered the door and before I could ask her if her parents were home (and chastise her for opening to a stranger!) her dad popped out from behind the door. We told him who we were and he didn't seem to understand, so he called his wife over. They are a Peruvian family, so I guess she was the only one who spoke Italian. So we to her who we were and she said, "well, we're not really interested in religious stuff, but he is!" and then handed us over to another guy. But then the woman said "he doesn't speak Italian, but he understands if you talk slow!" So we start talking to this Peruvian man who had only been in Italy for 10 days. And wouldn't you know it, that gift of tongues just never fails and I just started speaking to him in Spanish. We ended up being able to talk to each other without any misunderstandings and even set up a return appointment with him in the church (which unfortunately he didn't show up to). But it was just really cool. As we walked away Slla Nilson was like "Sorel, you totally just did that whole thing in Spanish!" and being awkward at accepting compliments I said something like "Those three transfers in Milano weren't for nothin'!" Anyway, it was just cool.

Well, another short email this week, but this room is freezing and it's slowing my fingers down. I love you all and miss you and hope you have a fantastic week!

Love from Siena,
Sorella Soh

No comments:

Post a Comment