28 November 2012

Within spitting distance of December


Hi...or should I say ALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHA!!!!!!!

Well, I have about a bazillion things to write about in this email! First things first, shout outs this week to the fantastic Penny Wadham who sent me a fantastic package full of treats! (Just so you know, I counted everything up to make sure there were really that number of each item! You are the best!) Also shout outs to Nana and Heidi Van Etten who sent me letters this week. And of course my lovely parents who write me faithfully. And Slla Baker who finally sent me her address. 

So, if any of you happened to read the conference Ensign from this most recent conference and happened to see the picture in the midst of Elder Nelson's "Ask the Missionaries! They can help you!" talk, you may have noticed that the picture of the missionaries on that page was taken in Milan! No, I'm not it in, but YES, I know who they are!!! Probably half of those missionaries are home by now, but it's still cool to see that our mission was represented! Go Milano!

Oh! Also thanks to the Madison Stake Activity Days girls who sent me letters!!! It was the BEST to get letters from them! And a girl named Erin sent me her address and asked me to write her back, so I've got a postcard written to get mailed to her.

I'm so glad it's pday because it POURED rain ALL DAY today. It's still raining. It's been raining for our 24 hours straight. And raining pretty hard. Yikes! Welcome to Tuscany in November, I guess!

I finished the Book of Mormon this morning! That makes two times this year! Now my new BoM goal is to read the whole thing in Italian before the end of my mission. Yeah!

We had a zone meeting yesterday and I met a new Elder who just got here last week or two weeks ago or something. He's in Livorno right now and his name is Anziano Locklear. Yep. Guess where he's from? Pembroke!!! Well, now his family lives in Tennessee, but with a name like Locklear, I knew he had to be a Lumbee!  We kinda know the same people...which is weird!

We put up our Christmas tree today! It looks really cute! I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!!! I can't wait!!! They've already hung up the Christmas lights in the city. That's probably the best part - seeing the city all lit up with Christmas lights. Yeah! Our Christmas Zone Conference is on the 17th, so any Christmas cards, letters or packages have to get to the mission office BEFORE THE 17th!!!! If not, I have no idea when I'll get them, but it'll definitely be AFTER Christmas, which is no fun.

Does anyone know what snooker is? I'd never heard of it before in my life, but someone told us that it's really popular in China (at least where he's from). Apparently it's like pool/billiards. Yeah. Snooker.

Coolest news ever: I got a letter from Slla Sobeck, my MTC companion. She's serving in Roma 3 right now and she said that there was a baptism last Saturday of a guy who - get this - is a construction worker on the Rome temple!!!!!!!!!! YEAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! A CONSTRUCTION WORKER ON THE ROME TEMPLE JUST GOT BAPTIZED!!!!!!!!!!! When I read that I wanted to jump out of the car and run around like a crazy!!! HOW COOL IS THAT!?!?!? Ahhhh!!!! BOO-YAH!

Well, last thing - the Luau!!! IT WAS AWESOME!!!! Probably the biggest success of my mission, short of a baptism. Seriously, it was that good. First of all, we spent hours cutting out flowers from colored paper and then poking holes in them so people could make leis. It was a huge hassle, but it was a huge hit and totally worth it. So when people first got there we had them make paper leis and that was good to have something for them to do while we waited for more people to show up. Then we had a prayer and brought out the food. After everyone was done eating, we went into another room and I taught them how to hula to a verse of Pearly Shells, and EVERYONE participated! No party poopers! And then they all sat down and I played a few songs on the ukulele - Over the Rainbow, Hey Soul Sister/I'm Yours mash up, Pua Olena and then Kawaipunahele. Pretty much everyone was floored. And then we had a spiritual thought about "aloha" meaning "love" and then we said a closing prayer and had dessert. I made haupia! And Slla Capece made cupcakes and stuck little umbrellas in them...and I had the suggestion of putting red gummi bears on them (sunburnt bears!). Anyway, it was a huge success because we had like 30 people come! (keeping in mind that we have like 20 active members...if that) and TWELVE-read it-12 were NON-MEMBERS. It was awesome!!! It was so much fun. I could go on and on about the miracles, but alas, time is up.

Well, I love you all very muchly a lot! I am in the best mission in the whole world, and the best city in that mission! What a great time to be a missionary - the hastening of the work has begun! Keep reading your scriptures!!!

Love,
Sorella Soh

No comments:

Post a Comment