20 June 2012

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changessss



Salve a tutti!

It is sooooooo hotttttttttttt hereeeeeeeeeeee. Okay, it really wouldn't be that bad, except for the fact that we have no A.C. in our apartment or anything. That little travel alarm clock that you sent me (mom and dad) read 86°F this morning. It's sitting on my desk. 86°F IN THE HOUSE. Right now there's a clock in the internet place that reads 89°F. And EVERYONE we've talked to has told us that the heat hasn't even arrived yet. I keep thinking "you mean it gets WORSE???" But oh well. It's not like there's anything anyone can do. I've already consigned myself to being in an endless state of sweating until...probably forever. At least I can wear my hair in a higher ponytail here. I couldn't in Torino or Savona because it would always get in the way of my bike helmet. Ick.

A few quick notes I jotted down for my email this week: 

What is the name of the woman who's the CEO of Kraft?? Meg C-something...Compton? Crawford? I can't remember. It's not important at all, but it's driving me NUTS that I can't remember.

I liked the cute Pixar stamps on your letters this week mom and dad!

I would probably give you some thoughts on your lesson for RS, mom, but guess who STILL hasn't heard/read conference from the Sunday afternoon session? Right. Me. I'm dying! Hopefully we'll get our conference Liahonas on Monday at our Training Meeting, but I don't know for sure. 

Dad, my Italian accent is getting pretty good. Lots of people have commented on it. They always say "parli bene l'italiano! / you speak Italian really well!", even in Torino they said that. It's because I mimic how italians speak instead of just speaking English with Italian words. It's just that now I'm speaking faster and not stumbling over grammar as much. And I'm learning a ton of vocabulary that's not missionary related because if I want to talk to my companion about the mosquito bites on my arm, it's kind of important to know the word for "mosquito bite" instead of just pointing to the bit welts on my arm every time.

My mother is dying!!!! Translation: Sorella Walton, my trainer, is going home at the end of this transfer! I can't believe it! She started training me in her 6th transfer, which is the transfer I'm in now. And now she's about to go home. I'm freaking out! The time is FLYING by!

Happy Belated Father's Day, dad!

I've discovered the secret to becoming inactive. It's so easy. Just stop reading the Book of Mormon. Seriously, I'm learning more and more every day how vital the Book of Mormon is in our conversion. If an investigator doesn't read the BoM, they'll NEVER progress towards baptism. If a member doesn't read the BoM, they're on the road to inactivation. Don't ever let yourself stop reading the Book of Mormon. DON'T. EVER. STOP. That's where the fullness of the Gospel is. That's where the peace is. That's where the hope is. That's where the truth is. Don't let that go. Yes, read the Bible and the Ensign and all that other stuff, too, but don't ever stop reading the BoM. Just don't do it. Don't do it.

There's a Hawaiian sister in the ward!!! She didn't actually tell me her name, or where in Hawaii she's from...but she has a Hawaiian accent and she looks Hawaiian, so I'll just have to take her word for it ;). She's older and has lived in Milan for a long time because she married an Italian. One of the young adults told me that she looked like she could be my mom. It's those Polynesian traits! Also because this sister is also pretty tall. Guess I need to get a picture with her! Then you can maybe see how brown I'm getting because we're out in the dang sun all the time.

I guess you all want to hear about my birthday! Well, it came and went. No one even knew about it, really. Although, I told my district leader the night before because he asked if there was anything he could do for us and I said "you could make me a birthday cake tomorrow" haha. But then he texted our whole district the next day and so our zone leaders called and sang "Feliz Navidad" to me (I wanna wish you a Happy Birthday...) and then the sisters in the Milano 1st ward called and sang to me, too. Sorella Silva and I bought gelato...twice. Once on Friday and once on Saturday because the gelato we had on Friday wasn't that good. The first time I had pistachio, nutella and biscotti gelato and the second time I had pineapple, passion fruit and papaya gelato. The second one was really good. Good thing that gelateria is really close by our house! I also tried to make a box of brownies, but our oven is kinda whack - there are no numbers on it! So basically the oven was way too hot and I burned the edges of the brownies while the inside was still uncooked. I scooped out the batter from the burnt edges and tried to salvage what I could. They came out okay, but at least now I know what NOT to do with our dang oven! And then today I arranged with all the Milano Sorelle to get gelato again, so today we are all going to meet up at the Duomo and eat lunch and get gelato. Three companionships of sisters! Don't worry, I've got my camera. 

Well, out of time again this week. Thank you all so so so so much for the birthday wishes/cards and all that. I'm 23!! Yikies! I'm so happy to be a missionary and to be able to spend this time in Italy learning and growing and changing. It's unlike anything I could've ever imagined! Hope you all still recognize me when I get home :)

Love and love and more love from MILANO!!!
Sorella Soh

No comments:

Post a Comment