23 May 2012

Cheese. Formaggio. Queso. K-Soh. Me.

O hai!

It's been a week already?? Yikie schnike! This has been the most insane past week! First off we had interviews with President and then we had our scambio blitz (exchange) with the Genova Sorelle and then we had Stanley's baptism! Yeah! Crazy! Shout outs this week (remember how I used to always do those?) go to the FAMIGLIA WALTON who sent me li hing gummy bears ALL THE WAY FROM HAWAII!!!!! (via Idaho) I got the envelope at interviews and I was kinda confused as to why I would be getting a little package from them, but when I opened it and then read the letter I almost died of excitement!!!!! I still haven't eaten them yet, but that's mostly because I feel like I need a really special reason to open and savor them. Ling hi gummy bears. Best day of my LIFE. (also, I really don't know if you spell it "ling hi" or "li hing" because now that I think about it, I really have no idea. Ergo why I just used both. Mleh.) In any case, a HUGE GIANT HUG AND THANK YOU to mama and papa Walton!

Other notes - mom or Liesl, could you send me Grandma Buskirk's mailing address? I was thinking about her yesterday and wanted to send her a postcard. Also, mom, I haven't asked about being able to pick me up from my mission, mostly because I don't really know who to ask...but in any case, sisters can choose to do 11 or 12 transfers because 18 months doesn't equate to an even number of transfers. Basically we choose to do 3 fewer weeks or 3 more weeks. I'm 99.9% sure I'll be doing 12 transfers, which means that instead of being done with my mission in February, my mission will end in March. March 17th or something. Just f.y.i.

And is Squeaky done with 6th grade?!?!?! AHHHHH!!!! HOW DID THAT HAPPEN!?!?! And aren't you all going to Disney soon? Or now? Well, have fun, and if you can find it in your hearts to go to the Poly and tell Sefa and Mapuhi and Aunty Kaui that I'm on a mission (like I asked the LAST time you went to Disney while I was on my mission), I would appreciate it. Or maybe if you could at least get me the mailing address for the Poly and I can just try and get in contact with them that way. You'd think I'd just be able to remember the address, seeing as how I worked there, but alas, tis not so.

Well, the two big things this week were our scambio and the baptism! I would attach the pictures I took, but I lost my cord! Dangit. But don't get too excited, I didn't take any pictures in Genova... Sorry! Repenting, repenting...

The scambio was really good. I was companions with Sorella Baker, from Minnesota! (Don't be jealous, Sor Williams! We didn't have anything to do with it!) I love her. We had a good scambio and we teach really well together. I just love her guts! And also the rest of her. Genova is famous for pesto and for foccacia, but we only ate foccacia there. It's a type of bread. Kinda like pizza dough, but not because it's so much better. I ate so much foccacia. It was SO GOOD. I don't even know how to describe it. It was like eating the most delicious bread that just melted in my mouth. It was incredible. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. Sigh. 

But the baptism! STANLEY IS BAPTIZED!!! He was SOOOO excited! He kept saying "it's MY day. MY DAY" and I couldn't help but just smile. He was so excited. The problem, though, is that Anziano Robinson (of the senior couple) baptized him, but Anz R is about a foot and change shorter than Stanley, who is a big, tall, African guy. So they get in the font, Anz R says the baptismal prayer, goes to dunk Stanley in the water, Stanley goes down, and then Anz R goes down! He slipped on the floor of the font (which is more like a pool because we don't have a real font) and so he got all wet! Very Mosiah 18:14. But then the next day in church he bore his testimony and was so excited. He was talking all about how he just can't wait to start his new life, how he feels like "a new creature in Christ", how he's changing and wants to be better, and just how happy he is. Sor Jones translated for him and we both were just grinning from ear to ear after everything he said. It was so great. One of my favorite things he said about his baptism: "At first I was afraid and the next thing I asked myself was 'what am I doing in this big bowl of water?'" It was so great! And then we met with him again on Monday and he said "my meeting you guys changed everything" and I just wanted to die, I was so happy. I LOVE STANLEY! HE IS AWESOME!!!

I'm sorry about the pictures - I'll try and figure something out for next week. Speaking of next week, transfers are a week from tomorrow!!! We really have NO idea what is going to happen, so it makes things much more exciting. But we'll find out before I send my next email, so don't you all worry.

Well, out of time! Love you all a ton! Be nice to your missionaries and give them lots of referrals! ;)

TANTO AMORE,
Sorella Soh


No comments:

Post a Comment