09 May 2012

Happy (almost) Mother's Day!

Buongiorno a tutti!


The internet point we're using today is called "The Green Turtle".
It's right next to the marina that all the big cruise ships use as
their port. That big cruise ship that just sank off the coast of Italy
a few months ago? Yeah, that same crusie ship company uses the port
here in Savona! It's only slightly bizarre to see a massive cruise
ship just chillin in the harbor as we bike past the marina to go to
our appointments. Just a little bit.


I got your letters, mom and dad! The first letters came last
Wednesday, AFTER I had sent my email. Tuesday was a national holiday,
so that's probably why the mail was slow. The second round of letters
came in this week. I got dad's on Monday and mom's on Tuesday, so
basically it takes the same amount of time to get to Savona as it did
to get to Torino. Also, say thanks to Alex for his letter - I really
appreciated it. And dad, I REALLY hope you didn't let Squeaky talk you
into buying that giant gummy bear. It sounds disgusting. But if you do
get one, be sure to watch Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory while
you eat it. I always wanted to pick giant gummy bears off of trees and
bite into them while enjoying the breeze by a chocolate river with
Augustus Gloop.


I'm glad to hear that you had a good time at the concert in Atlanta
and at the Hunters' house! I have fond memories of being at their
house and the Christmas tree farm! So much fun. And if anyone is silly
enough to let me in at Johns Hopkins to go to school there, it'd be
awesome to have the Buskirks nearby! Well, just as long as they're
okay that I'm a Braves fan first, Orioles fan second. Or third. Or
not.


SQUEAKY IS LEARNING THE HARP?!?! That is the craziest idea!!! Who
plays the harp??? How on earth did the stars align in such a way that
she could even take lessons!? That is so awesome!!!! Just be sure to
tell her that she has to actually practice and be good at it, because
otherwise it's not even cool to say you play the harp. You have to be
good at it, too.


Thanks for forwarding Sor Walton's email to me. It sounds like the
work is going CRAZY in Pordenone! She is great. I miss her a lot. She
only has one more transfer left after this! Ahh!


Giuseppe and Riccardo came to Savona on Sunday to find me! They came
all the way from Torino on the train. They got a little lost getting
from the train station to the church so I only got to talk to them for
a few minutes, which is kind of a bummer because it's like a 2.5 hour
train ride!! They seem to be doing pretty well, though, and they told
me they like the sister that replaced me there.


Well, I guess it's better late than never to say this, but we have a
baptismal date! His name is Stanley and he's from Nigeria. We met with
him for the first time about two weeks ago and he is getting baptized
on the 19th. He is so great! We teach him in English and have an
appointment with him tonight. He's a really spiritual person and asks
a ton of questions, which is great! We taught him the law of tithing
on Monday and read the scripture from Malachi that says "Will a man
rob God? And yet ye have robbed me. Ye ask 'in what have we robbed
thee?' In tithes and offerings" and he said "wait. I've never paid
tithing in my life. Are you telling me that my whole life I've been
robbing God???" We told him, of course, that only members of the
church are allowed to pay tithing, but when we asked him if he would
pay tithing after his baptism he said "of course I'll pay tithing, you
can't rob God!" Haha.


The weeks are flying by here in Savona. The weather has been kinda
gross lately, but that means it hasn't been super hot, so I guess
that's okay. It's a lot more humid here than in Torino, though, so my
hair is kinda going nuts and my clothes take forever to dry (no one in
Italy has a dryer so we have to line dry everything). I finally had
enough today, though, and bought a hair dryer. I didn't really want to
because I know for a fact that there are at least three hair dryers in
Torino, but when I asked the zone leaders to bring one for us when
they came down here to do exchanges, they forgot. Dangit.


I've had about 20394820394720398 thoughts running through my head
non-stop the past few days. I have so much to think about I don't
think my brain will ever catch up! But rest assured that the work here
in Savona is just blazing forward - so much so that I don't know if
we'll be able to even do it all! It's amazing to see the potential of
this area and this branch. I love Savona!


Well, I've already been thinking about things to tell you all on
Sunday and hope that you've been doing the same! I'll talk to you
soon!


LOVE and AMORE (which are the same thing, kind of),
Sorella Soh


p.s. sorry no pictures this week - I was too busy! Also, I hardly ever
have my camera...

No comments:

Post a Comment