19 October 2010

I LOVE VENEZIA

This past weekend the whole group went to Venice. I loooooove looove loved Venice! Probably in part because I wasn't at risk of getting run over by a tiny, silent, electric car on the streets. And because the city is beautiful. And because Thursday we went to a church where there was a Vivaldi concert and they played The Four Seasons. I admit it, I cried. Vivaldi in Venezia. Life just doesn't get much better than that. Again, words won't do it any justice. We left Thursday morning and stopped by Sirmione on Lake Garda (home of the poet Catullus) before making it to Venice. We spent all day Friday in Venice and then we left Saturday morning and stopped in Verona (home of Romeo and Juliet) before getting back to Siena. The past two weekends were definitely highlights of my time here. I love Italy!


A bust of Catullus in Sirmione:


Lake Garda:


Brooke and Bev. Roommates. I love them.


Me and Somers. Roommates. I love her.


Pier on Lake Garda.


Cliff into Lake Garda.


All the houses in Sirmione were covered with these gorgeous purple flowers.


VENEZIA.


Gondole along the grand canal.

We got to Venice right at sunset. It was absolutely amazing.


Venice is totally bankrupt, probably because they have to pour money into keeping it from completely sinking. In a desperate attempt, they have prositituted the sides of the buildings in San Marco, the main square, to raise money for their sinking (literally and figuratively) city. This was my favorite ad, plastered across the side of a building across from the Doge's palace.


The Doge's palace with its Venetian arches.


The Roman amphitheater in Verona. It has been so well preserved that they still hold concerts there!


The famed balcony of Juliet Capulet!


Me and Somers on the Ponte Pietra in Verona. Pretty typical of our relationship.


Again on the Ponte Pietra with Bev and Olivia.


Me and Audrey with a view of Verona behind us. I tried to edit it to make it look artsy fartsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment