24 October 2010

Grilled Cheezus

Thomas S. Monson, prophet and president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, was in Rome yesterday for the groundbreaking ceremony of the soon-to-be-built Rome Temple.



It was a closed event, due to Roman congregation laws or something, but one of the families in the little branch here in Siena was able to go. They got up in the meeting today and talked about how amazing it will be not only for there to be a temple in Rome, but also how their testimonies of the prophet were confirmed upon seeing President Monson in real life. After church we gathered in their little family history library (basically a little room by the "chapel") and watched this video.

Today was seriously a great day. I was so moved. I almost cried a few times. I think about the super strong members here. There are two young women, one young man, one boy in primary, maybe five sisters and maybe, maybe 10 men. We BYU students outnumber them, that's for sure. But I love going to church here. We try our best to understand their Italian and do a pretty good job of it. They are very willing to pause and let someone translate for them and they love when we participate and make comments. Everyone who attends is really active. They are all very knowledgeable about the scriptures and doctrines of our church and actively participate in the lessons. When you think about it, it's obvious that they would be stalwart members. Italy is the home of Catholicism, literally. It would be so much easier and ridiculously more convenient for them to not be members of or frequent our church, and yet they do. Every Sunday. What amazing examples they are to me. I love them for that.

I was thinking about the family who got to see the prophet yesterday. He said it was the first time he had ever seen the prophet and it will probably be the only time he ever sees the prophet. I think about how I've twice been in the same room as the President Monson and how neither time I thought it would be the last/only time I'd ever see him. I mean, he lives in Salt Lake. And considering my geneaology, being around prominent members of the church is not really a big deal. But for the people here, it's a huge deal. They're not direct descendents of Orson F. Whitney, Abraham Smoot or Heber C. Kimball, nor are Bruce C. Hafen or George Albert Smith their great+ uncles. They aren't even Americans! And yet they have solid testimonies that America was the place that the gospel would be restored and that Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God. Currently, the closest temple is in Switzerland. Switzerland!!! What a great blessing for these amazing members. The Rome temple will serve as the temple for Italy, Greece and North Africa. I just want to burst into tears of joy for the people of this country. I'm even tearing up again as I write this!

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I believe that we are all children of God and that He loves us individually. He loves you. He knows you personally. He is there even when you don't think He is. He believes in you even if you don't believe in Him. He doesn't make you anything, He lets you be who you are and who you were meant to be. God has not left us comfortless, nor has he abandoned us. There is a prophet on the earth today who acts as the mouthpiece of God on the earth and his name is Thomas S. Monson. He counsels us to choose what is right, even when it is unpopular and we are criticized and harrassed for it. He has the authority to do that. Through the blessings of the temple, families can be together for all eternity. This life is not the end. I have not been blindly led into believing these things. I have thought about the nature of God, read the scriptures and have asked God myself, through prayer, if this is all a bunch of baloney.

This is my answer; this is what I believe.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely post, I am so glad that you are in Italy for this great moment in history. I am Catholic and I pray, a lot. Reading your strong expression of faith makes me happy, our world needs more people with solid beliefs in their faith, it will better us all. Cent anni!

    ReplyDelete