09 July 2012

Happy Fourth of July!!

(Sorry this week's blog post is so late - we were on vacation and I couldn't figure out how to post the pictures from my iPad, so I just decided to wait and do the whole thing late! ~Nicole)



HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY EVERYONE!!!

Wooo! I love America!!!!! Since today is Pday, our zone leaders decided to have a cookout for all the missionaries in our zone, so after we finish our internet time and do our grocery shopping we're gonna go to the Milano 1st Ward building and eat hamburgers and stuff. I don't think Sor Silva is particularly enthralled by the idea, but if we're still together next transfer I'll make sure we do something special for their Independence day (which is the 28th of July, she said...she explained it to me but I still don't really understand, haha).

SHOUT OUTS THIS WEEK: Well, first of all, mom, shout outs last week did, in fact, include people who sent me cards to Milano, so I'll try not to be miffed that you'd think I'd shout out to the Savona people and not to the Milano people. However, I did forget two people last week - Beth Hatz and Linda Boyer! So thank you! Also a shout out to Sor Williams (again) because basically everyone in the ward initially thinks that I'm you! They always tell me "I thought you were Sor Williams for a minute, but then I was confused because you're taller with darker hair". And everyone RAVES about your cinnamon rolls...Fllo Martinez showed me a pic of them on his phone, haha. Oh, I just love you!


I have yet to find someone in this country with a ukulele. The Hawaiian sister in our ward has been out of town this week, but I told her that when she gets back we would like to stop by and see her and I'll be sure to ask if she's got one. And tell Squeaky that learning the Lord's Prayer is a really good idea. None of my companions have known it from memory. Maybe Sor S, but I haven't asked. Anyway, tell her also that I learned it because of volleyball. We would always say the Lord's Prayer in our huddle before coming out onto the court for games. Oh, and also, can you tell me how tall Squeaky is in (centi)meters? Everyone ALWAYS asks me how tall I am. I always say I'm 1.80m tall, which is stretching it a little because I'm not quite that tall, but even then no one ever believes me. They always say "no way! You're way taller than that! At lest 1.85, 1.90!" 

Speaking of height, on Monday and Tuesday we had a scambio (exchange) with the sisters in Milano 3rd Ward - Sorelle Hanks and Bishop. I was with Sor Bishop, who, if you recall, is my counterpart in height in the mission. We were quite an interesting sight to be seen, I'm sure! But boy was their apartment way cooler than ours! They live more south in Milano, and there was a nice, cool breeze at their apartment. We live in the city, really close to the historic center. In terms of shopping it's really convenient, but it also means that things are more expensive and that it gets SO HOT. I'm sure everyone is sick of hearing me say this, but it is so dang hot. 90/91°F in our study room all week. It was so hot on Sunday that they cancelled the second hour of church. We usually have AC in the church, but it wasn't working on Sunday. So instead of having Sunday School. we went straight to Sacrament Meeting (we do RS/EQ first). We had all the windows open, but dang was it hot. It was so hot.

The side effect of all this heat is that I'm losing weight. Remember those jeans that didn't fit me anymore in Torino? Well They almost fit in Savona because we weren't biking so much (and I wasn't eating so much) and then I tried them on again last night and they zipped up and everything! They were still tight, but that's more than I could do in Torino! My life is a constant state of endless change in every aspect - emotionally, physically and spiritually! At this rate, I'll be unrecognizable when I get  home!

Okay, so surprise! I HAVE PICTURES! I put my SD card into Sor Silva's camera and uploaded them that way.

1. the view from the train window as we were going to an appointment in Savona

2. STANLEY!!!! on his baptism day!

3. me sitting on a wall at the Priamar fortress in Savona, with the sea in the background. Yeah, that place is real.

4. a cruise ship at the harbor by the internet point in Savona 

5. me with birthday letters!

6. me, sor Padula and Sor Jacobson eating gelato! (they are in the Milano 1st ward)

7. Sorelle Silva, Bishop, Padula, me and Hanks at the Duomo in Milano 

8. Sorelle Hanks, Silva and me eating panzerotti for lunch. YUM! 

Alrighty, out of time. I'm sorry if I've forgotten anything important. Have fun all you Smiths at the OBX! Thanks for finally having a family reunion...the one year I CAN'T come! But no, I hope you are all having tons of fun and taking lots of pictures and loving all of my cute cousins. Transfers are next week! I personally think that Sor S and I will stay together, but Sor S thinks she's leaving, so we'll see. This is her 3rd transfer in Milano, so you never know! If she does get transferred, though, it means that I'll be able to see Sor Walton at the transfer circle before she goes home! I love you all buckets and buckets!

LOVE,
Sorella Soh

No comments:

Post a Comment