29 February 2012

Happy Leap Day!

BUON GIORNO A TUTTI, FRATELLI E SORELLE!!!!!!! (Okay, that's what everyone says when they get up to give a talk/bear their testimony in church)

So President has a meeting or something next week and will be gone, so even though it's only the 5th week of this transfer, this is the last week of the transfer!!! So happy transfers! (Next transfer will be 7 weeks to compensate for the change) Unsurprisingly, Sor B and I are still together, as are the two other companionships in our district (Anz Herrington is still training Anz Walsh, and the zone leaders Anz Ostler and Anz Frustaci, who are in our ward). But next transfer our district will likely get all split up! Crazy.

Oh, p.s. I've been a missionary for SIX MONTHS. What?! My mission "end date" is exactly a year from today (well, actually yesterday...the whole today being leap day thing kinda messes it up).

Remember how in the MTC I would write home every week and talk about how the gift of tongues is real? Well, it still is. Lots of the changes that have taken place in me over these past few months I probably won't really realize until I get home, but one thing that I'm really noticing is how much better my Italian is. It's kinda weird. Sometimes we'll be in church or in a lesson or something and I'll suddenly think to myself "whoa, wait - they're all speaking Italian!" and I don't really notice because I just understand what's going on. So weird. And also very cool. And I've found lately, especially as senior companion, that my speaking comes so much faster. I surprise myself a lot, actually. I can't even imagine what my Italian will be like in a year from now - mom and dad, you're gonna be so impressed! I've told a few of our new converts that you're planning on coming to pick me up and they have all told me to call them up so they can meet you. Guess you better brush up on those Italian phrases!

Shout out this week goes to Sorella Bunker's mom!!! I should probably apologize to you right now for how much she probably doesn't like me - what with me trying to whip her into shape and all ;) - particularly this week as she's taken on the role of senior companion! She's been in charge of planning our lessons, deciding what to do all day, where to do finding work, and (the worst part) she's been in charge of the phone! She has been making all the phone calls this week - all in Italian!!! She's only been here four weeks or so and she's already calling strangers up on the phone! Be proud! Like I said, she is probably annoyed at me for making her do so much so soon, but guess what - she's doing it and she's doing great. There may be hope for her yet! ;) Really though, she is doing so great.

Dad, about my jeans not fitting, it's actually not a big deal at all because I never wear them anyway. On p-day we are supposed to wear our proselyting clothes (skirts) like normal, unless of course we're doing something that would require us to wear other-people-clothes (like playing bball or something). So. No problem there. Well...so to speak.

So remember how I've been calling all kinds of random people on our ward list who I've never met? Well, it hasn't profitted us much in terms of finding members we can reactivate, but it has helped toughen our skin! Most of the people we talk to are NOT interested in even talking to us on the phone, but at least now we know! Most of the calls have been relatively painless. The gem of the ward list, though, has to be the woman I called last week who, even though her name and address and number are on the ward list, told me on the phone that she is now a Jehovah's Witness - now that she's found "la verità / the truth", she told me. She then proceeded to drill me with questions about the Bible and what the real name of God is and something about Psalm 83. I was kinda shocked (if you can imagine), and had no idea what to do or say. The LAST thing I wanted was to argue, and so basically I was just on the phone with my mouth hanging open in surprise and saying "oh...yeah...um...didn't know that...yeah...". Ah, the experiences you have on the mission! Well, at least now we know she's not interested! And hopefully she is happy with her newfound "verità".

This past weekend was crazy. The snow is 99% melted and it's been really, really nice out lately (20°C the other day!), so we're back on our bikes! Finally! On Friday night we were biking home from our last appointment when I discovered that my back tire was flat. Not like it didn't have enough air, but was flat flat. My front tire went flat a few weeks ago (right when Sor B got here), so it was kinda annoying to have to get the other innertube replaced, but it wasn't a big deal. So the next morning we took my bike in and got the tire fixed. Then that afternoon we went and got my bike again and were back in action. Well, that is until about 5pm that evening when we went to get on our bikes and my front tire was flat. Flat flat. What?! Again?? Yeah. It was flat. And the worst part was that we were down by the church, which is about a 20 min bike ride from our house. I couldn't ride my bike home, so what could I do? Well, we did the only thing we could do, which was to walk my bike back to our apartment and then plan on taking the bus to our other appointment that night. I wasn't particularly pleased about it, but we had no other options, really. So we walked our bikes home. It took us about an hour. Poor Sor B was such a champ walking her bike back with me. The bike fixing guy was already closed for the day, and it was Saturday, so we had to wait and take my bike back on Monday morning. He said there were bits of glass in the tire and that's why it went flat. Dangit! But my bike has been fine so far, so things are looking up!

Well my dears, time is up this week! I love you all so much! Thanks for your love and support!

Love and other good things from Torino,
Sorella Soh

p.s. the pictures!
1) by a very full trash can. The sign says to not but trash on the ground because "non siamo a Napoli / we are not in Naples!" haha

2) me with a very large apple that I bought (and consequently ate) at the market downtown today

3) a sign explaining a church we saw...poor nuns! Having to burn witches and stuff!

4) me in front of said church

5) me in front of a weird statue thing downtown

6) today's lunch! Kebab! YUM. It had french fries in it. Weird. But good.

No comments:

Post a Comment